At the Cultivate Hope Urban Farm, we divide part of our farmland into 20′ x 20′ plots for community members to rent for gardening and growing their own food.
Why Provide Gardening Space?
There are many people in our community who would like to grow their own food but don’t have easy access to gardening plots or farm land. In particular, many African immigrants grew up in rural villages and grew their own food before coming to Cedar Rapids. Some now live in apartments and don’t have their own land to grow food.
When these community members gain access to land, they can:
- Grow healthy food for their families
- Grow food that reminds them of their native land
- Start food-related businesses
About the Community Gardens
The community garden plots location and details:
Cultivate Hope Urban Farm
400 Block of G AVE NW
Plot size: Approximately 20’ x 20’
Cost: $50 for May through October (Sold out for 2024)
What resources are included?
- Water access is provided during the growing season
- Free use of a tiller or other farming tools, checked out from the Tool Library at the Matthew 25 office
Reserve Your Plot
To sign up for community garden space or for more information, contact us.